Tuesday, November 24, 2009

SUN hallelujah

Saturday was a busy day! two party's in one day. even for me thats a pretty good deal. lol. i went to a canadian/american thanksgiving dinner. i made my sweet potatoes with the yummy nut topping. it was really nice and good to meet other people. the women were all volunteers that have stayed here and married SA guys. we had a nice big dinner and then just chatted and stuff. and then that night i went to another small party on the property. got all dressed up and had another huge meal! lol. i went to bed very stuffed.

sunday was fun. it was my life group on set up so i was there at the crack of dawn. for those reading who do set up at oceanside, i had to be there for 715! :) church starts first service at 8 am. so i went to the first service and then left a little tiny bit early and went to the babies home to pick up my favorite child to take him to the second service. i can't help it, i've got a favorite. he doesn't know that he's my favorite but he is. its been that way since almost day one. can't help it and i don't care. i heart him!!!!!!!!!! anyways, went to the worship for the second service and then took him to lite zone (Sunday school) and then i went and visited with people during the sermon for the second service. its nice to be able to do that. after church and returning my little man home, Me aimee , gershwin and sdu went to the African market in Rosenbank. Gershwin organized the little adventure for me basically, because i'd never been yet. it was gobs of fun! and HUGE! my feet hurt from walking around. so much stuff and so many people eager to sell! i was cautioned not to open my mouth there because they would take advantage the moment they heard my accent. i think it didn't really matter whether i spoke or not, tourist is pretty much stamped on my forehead but at least i wasn't wearing a 'i heart Africa' t-shirt or a 'big five' hat or something. i did find a Christmas tree ornament that i loved and since i collect a new one every year, why not one from Africa. and a gift for my parents. i think i need to say this here and now, i have very little funds and so as much as i will want to bring every single one of you a present home, i can't! :) ( i think i'm writing that more for my self than anyone actually. lol)

after the market i was pretty beat so just spent the night chillen and watching movies with the girls!

monday i did my usual sojourn down to the shops to return the movies with Lauren. halfway there my slip slop broke and i had to walk back up, get different ones and then try again. good thing i brought all my slips because i wear them every day non stop. they are wearing out as you can tell. and i'm getting the most amazing tan lines on my feet. :)

monday night i worked and then went to life group. we had pancakes and i brought the blueberry cheesecake ice cream topping. the pancakes in SA are totally different than in canada and you have them with lots of different things rolled up in them. they are kinda like crepes but thicker and yummyer! last night we had them with spinach and feta, mince and cheese, ice cream, and cinnamon and sugar. not gonna lie to you, it was soooooo gooooood!!!!!!!!!!! to my south african friends in canada....WHY HAVE WE NEVER HAD A PANCAKE NIGHT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!! :) i'm hoping to learn how to make them before i leave here thats for sure!

today is another day shift. yay. later after work i'm hoping to get some pool time! it a rough life i'm telling ya. :)

4 comments:

  1. hehehe! very funny the way you ended the blog.. Oh yeah everything African is rough..tough life. I need many of my friends in the U.S to visit sometime, that way - they will appreciate their own country more- i hear people complain around here in the U.S all the time, all i could do is just smile and mutter to myself "If only you know what i know or experience what i have experienced"
    Seems like you had a fun weeked, We kept missing each other on Skype! I think am going to Seattle for Thanksgiving to visit with my friends, its been a while i went that way. Oh well i will keep checking Skype to see if you will be there sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really call them 'slip slops' or is that just something you picked up in SA??!! I have never heard this before.
    Those pancakes do sound very yummy and it DOES sound like we should have pancake nights!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, no kidding.... Do I hear you beginning to speak like South African? Slip Slops..... oh my word, shame.... lol. Sorry, but I had to mention it. Very cute! Sounds like you're having a great time!!!!! And those pancakes do sound DELICIOUS!!!!! I'm in for a pancake night when u get home!!!!! Miss you, xoxo
    Jill, James, Jessie and Kaitlyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blogs Gwyn!! So glad you're continuing to have an awesome time. Thinking and praying for you lots!! sorry about your slip slops lol :) love you!
    Mary and Dallas

    ReplyDelete