Monday, December 14, 2009

still kinda blah!







ok. sorry that i've not been updating. i've been sick. and sick some more. and then i just plain have been lazy. lol. life here is
not as fun when your sick. but life isn't really fun anywhere when your sick is it? after my three days of fever, i got a strange rash and nausea thing. i was sick saturday and sunday with the rash. it was like a strange thing cause i've never had a rash in my life before and all of a sudden i was cover head to toe pretty much with red bumps. it was odd. and then i had this nausea where i felt like i was going to barf all the time. pleasant hey"? :) sorry for the detail. anyways i didint'much feel like updateing.
beside feeliing under the weather its continuing to be busy life here. a lot of people have gone on vacation. i'm now in charge of when people bring in donations to the babies home, making sure they get put away and i have the storeroom key and everything. lol. it seems like a lot of reponsibility but its not. still im taking pride in it! :)
Gordon taught me how to make proper south african pancakes last night.(including his secret ingrediant and i'm not telling a soul! ) and i actually learned to flip it in the pan without a flipper or spatula. jsut 'flip'! lol. small things make me happy as you know. south african pancakes are an amazing thing and i love them. you dont'just have syrup on them and call it a day. they are bigger and thin and you can do anything with them. last night we had them with sugar and cinamon. and gordon made me one with peanut butter, banana, nuts and syrup. mmmmm sometimes i put cheese in them. hazelnut spread is yummy in them too. they are very very yum!
my time here is go;ing fast now that i'm on the tail end of it. i have less than a month to go now and i'm feeling the time slipping away so very fast. i want to get as much as i can in now before i got. its hectic tho because everything is quiet and people are all on holidays and away. but i have lots of christmas plans. dinners and goings on so its gonna be fun. i'm missing snow, i know you all think thats a crazy thing to miss. but its 10 days till chrismas eve and i don't even feel like it! the weather is either hot hot hot or its crazy storms. we have had hail here the last two days. and when i say hail i mean we have had twoonie sized chunks of ice falling from the sky denting cars and cracking windshields!!! its so so so cool to watch. but not fun to be out in!
i decorated the tree today. its just a tiny little thing and we have hardly any decorations but i used what i could find and its very cute sitting in the corner of the room.
anyways if you think of it please pray for me. i'm stuggling as you can tell with my health. i now have a sore throat and a drip back there that usually means a cold is coming on. its so dumb to get colds in the summer!!! lol i'm also trying very very hard to keep a cheerful spirit of adventure and fun in the holiday season. missing home an aweful lot and its not getting any easier day by day.
also another one of the kids left the babies home over the weekend and she was my favorite girl and i cried and cried. i didn't cry in front of her or the kids tho which i was proud of. we had a prayer time for her just before she left and i did my praying in my inside voice because i knew if i spoke she wouild hear the tears in my voice. i'm not going to lie, i have some heartbreaking stories that i just can't write on here but if you think of her, prayer would be great. (maybe this is whyy i'm getting sick now, i'm stressed out a bit...lol ) so now we are down to 12 kids which is, i must say, a more managable number.
happy birthday today to my mommy!!! i got to talk to her for 10 minutes on my airtime before it died. lol
thanks for those who call me over here. *cough lisa cough* i really appreciate it. and thanks for my mail *cough carin cough* it really lifts me up when i hear from home. God has blessed me here with amazing and fun friends and thats why i think i've made it this long without having some sort of a homesickness melt down. i'm going to hate leaving here more that i hated leaving canada when i came...... . i now truely love two countries. :)

6 comments:

  1. Gwyn, I'm with you. I really don't like goodbyes - for whatever reason! I find it hard to leave and let others leave as well. One thing I've found s that a big part of life consists of "goodbyes". I guess we have to learn to be thankful that we got to know the people or person that is leaving or being left.
    I hope you plan on coming to our Ladies Retreat in April - I'd love you to do a presentation on your time in Africa! Maybe we could have African pancakes for lunch? Let me know what you think - I know you have no idea of what or where you will be in April. I'll pray for your health and your 'goodbyes' and your little friend. Blessings, Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Gwyn - I challenge you to a pancake bake off. You can have one griddle and I'll take the other. You can make African pancakes and I'll make some Dutch, wagon wheel size stick to your ribbers. Wrap those pupppies around some sausages, a few strips of bacon on the side, fill the pancakes with raisons, apple & cinnamon and throw a generous dollop of whip cream on top. Your mouth watering yet.
    Will pray for returning health for you and special strength when it comes time to say your goodbyes and look forward to the hellos.
    love mom & dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut butter and icing sugar... you're right, syrup only on pancakes is BORING. Good work on being creative!! I can't wait for you to make some pancakes when you come home so we, who have never been to SA, can try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwyn, miss you so much and glad to hear your over the rash although we'll pray that the sore throat goes away and doesn't turn into anything worse. happy to hear you've got a christmas tree!!! doens't matter that it's little, our tree has several noticeble bald spots lol but we love it anyways:)
    Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm... I am thinking a detour through Terrace to make me some pancakes is in order.. :P

    Praying for your health girl... great pictures!!

    lots of love n squishes;
    Carin

    ReplyDelete